So some sort of “logging” here:
- When I first ran the test, it reported the “procedure not found” error.
- Shame on me: I’m not sure whether that was before or after I installed CUDA.
- At some point (after isolating the test case), it started to work, without the error message
- This was definitely after I installed CUDA
Now I’m at a point where I cannot reproduce the error. That’s not ideal…
An aside: You seem to assume that the error was caused by the ADVAPI DLL. Since there are many websearch results talking about “similar problems”, this is not unlikely, but is there any specific technical reason for this assumption? It does not say which procedure is not found, though…
And you mentioned the
WinSxS directory. I think this directory is not relevant here, because it is only some sort of “update history” (basically storing older versions of files that are overwritten by updates). At least, that’s how I understood https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2795190/how-to-address-disk-space-issues-that-are-caused-by-a-large-windows-co (fun fact: This article mentions an
advapi32.dll - that seems to be a famous DLL…)
However, I did full search of the hard drive for ADVAPI, and it appears that there are two versions in directories that are potentially relevant:
- One in
- One in
Both of them have version 10.0.17134.1
The dependency walker seems to find the one in
System32, and there seems to be no way to convince it to use another one for the test.
I’m a bit lost here right now. (Apart from the paradoxical situation that I’m a bit annoyed that the error does not appear here any more … )