Place Holder bug

Hi,

I am getting a exception after moving the dockable(setting the visibility to false after deploying(CGrid) ) to body another dockable . The stack is as follows.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at bibliothek.gui.dock.common.intern.CPlaceholderStrategy.isValidPlaceholder(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.station.support.PlaceholderList.checkAllPlaceholders(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.station.support.PlaceholderList.setStrategy(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.StackDockStation.setPlaceholders(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.themes.basic.BasicCombiner.combine(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.themes.ThemeCombiner.combine(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.themes.StationCombinerValue.combine(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.SplitDockStation.dropOver(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.SplitDockStation.dropOver(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.SplitDockStation.drop(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.SplitDockStation.drop(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.SplitDockStation.move(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.control.relocator.MoveOperation.execute(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.control.DefaultDockRelocator.executeOperation(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.control.DefaultDockRelocator.dragMouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.control.DefaultDockRelocator.dragMouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at bibliothek.gui.dock.control.DefaultDockRelocator$MouseRepresentativeListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Can you pls tell what will be the reason for that…?

[QUOTE=srisai]Hi,

I am getting a exception after moving the dockable(setting the visibility to false after deploying(CGrid) ) to body another dockable . The stack is as follows.

Can you pls tell what will be the reason for that…?[/QUOTE]

That is an interesting bug. What kind of Dockable are you moving around, a SingleCDockable, a MultipleCDockable or another Dockable? If your application is small, can you give me an example to reproduce the bug? Because I was not able to reproduce the bug with the description you gave.

I am attaching two file perspective file and the java file.The java file does not contains every thing.Its a huge program.I posted by editing the file.I dont get this exceptions ,everytime I drag the dockable into body of another one.I will get this randomly.

Thanks, I’ll have a closer look in the evening.

I did not find anything in a first quick test (I try again later). I only saw that you are not using the newest version, what version are you using?

I used 1.0.8 version.Even if I updated to 1.1.0,I am getting this null pointer exception.What I have observed is
if I closed the application that opens(using menu bar) the panel which is not visible in the dockable grid and launches it again.Then I moved that panel into another dockables gets this exception.But this also occurs randomly…

Ok, I searched a long time but I was not able to find the cause of the bug. If your work is not confidential, I would be interested to run your entire application to find the bug. Even a look at the way the application interacts with DockingFrames may help.

It that is not possible: Just suppressing the error won’t help because the wrong value would show up at another location. So I would upload a version which contains more checks and hopefully one of the checks is triggered and tells which piece of code introduces the “null” value.

I have to apologize if this is inconvenient for you - especially since you have the bad luck of discovering this bug (and so far being the only one able to reproduce the bug) - but I see no better alternative.